Organic reach is dead. Literally. If you have managed a Facebook page from 2009 on, you have probably experience this first-hand. In the early days of Facebook business pages, life was good. You posted to your page and everyone who liked it saw the post and engaged with it. By 2014, things changed significantly. According to Hubspot, the average organic reach for a Facebook page dropped from 16 percent to 6.5 percent.
Flash forward to 2018 and life is not the same as it once was for business owners on Facebook. In January 2018, Facebook announced that they were ‘shift ranking’ to make News Feeds more about connecting with people and less about consuming media in isolation. So, what does that mean for you as a business owner with a Facebook page?
You Need to Pay to Play
This isn’t news, but the saying still holds true in 2018. Paid ads are worth it if execute properly. Randomly boosting posts here and there is not an effective digital advertising strategy. Plan out your campaigns, narrow down your target audience and budget accordingly. At Simplified Social, we recommend that all of our clients put a minimum of $200 per month into their monthly social advertising budgets in order to increase reach and boost engagement. It pays off, trust us!
Stop Posting Irrelevant Content
Again, not news but still important to highlight. We always recommend utilizing the 80-20 rule in your content strategy. 80 percent of what you post should be engaging, of interest and important to your audience. The other 20 percent can be all about you, your company and your promotions. Spamming people with constant sales pitches is not a way to win your audience. Give them content that keeps them coming back for more. Stuck for content ideas? Sign-up for Google Alerts with relevant keywords to your industry. Each day you’ll have share-worthy articles in your inbox to help you out on a slow content day.
Educate Your Fans
Whether it’s reminding your fans that they should like and share your posts when they do actually see them or encouraging them to hit the ‘see first’ button on your Facebook page, there are simple ways to keep people engaged.
At Simplified Social, we help business owners elevate their brand online with awesome content and social media management and training. If you are looking for support in your online marketing, we would love to chat with you. We offer a free 30 minute consultation for all new clients.
Let’s elevate your brand and get you noticed on social media.
Alex is the Founder and Lead Consultant of Simplified Social.